Remediating A WordPress Site For Accessibility
taught by: Sumner Davenport
Learn steps and procedures for evaluating and remediating a WordPress site by following a strategic plan that includes working with resources that are readily available.
Recent analysis reports that over 90% of all websites have Accessibility issues. Due to its availability as open source and ease of use, over 35% of all websites around the globe are built on the WordPress platform. With increased spotlight the value of an accessible website, business owners and designers are scrambling to understand remediation. With the vast library of plug-ins and services that offer instant or guaranteed accessibility, it is common for a WordPress designer to erroneously believe that adding a plug-in is all that is necessary.
This hand-on workshop is designed for WordPress users of all skill levels. Participants will learn steps and procedures for evaluating and remediating a WordPress site by following a strategic plan that includes working with resources that are readily available. These same steps can be also used during the design process of a new WordPress site.
This session will cover:
- Where to start
- Coding & Testing plan using automatic tools and native users
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1).
- Common errors
- Creating your WordPress remediation plan
- Tracking efforts and reports
- Themes and Child Themes
- Low Hanging Fruit – Do the easy things first
- Custom CSS
- Plugins: the Good, Bad & the Ugly
- Evaluation of a WordPress website
- Auto and Manual Testing
- Web Accessibility Remediation strategy