It’s that time! Please add your vote and help shape the next SXSW Interactive Festival to include disability access. Knowbility has brought digital accessibility to SXSW and SXSWedu in past years. For 2023, we’ve submitted three sessions that you’ll find on the Panel Picker. From tips for creating inclusive events, to a primer on what, exactly, is digital accessibility, to live website demos, our sessions promise to enlighten you - and other SXSW creatives - about digital equity. We aim to inspire and empower you to create inclusive content. If you haven’t already, you'll need to create a Panel Picker account in order to vote.
Accessibility: The Wake Up Call
Accessibility has never been the new, sexy tech to adopt - until now! To get more attention and buy-in for digital inclusion - come see accessibility demos! Understand the epiphany thousands of people around the US have been experiencing with our accessibility activation. See an individual with a disability show you live if they can or cannot get around on a website. Join Communications Specialist Anthony Vasquez, who is blind, and Becky Gibson, lead Product Manager, Accessibility at UKG, for an exciting, interactive experience.
- Through live demos, see firsthand why web accessibility is critical in our uber-connected, virtual meeting filled world.
- Open your eyes to the world of assistive technology and alternative ways of interacting with the web.
- Understand the basics of web accessibility and how to make your content more accessible to all
Digital Accessibility: Small Changes, Big Impact
Websites, emails, and social media - all important places to share your brand and tell your story, but are these places accessible to people with disabilities? You will learn what digital accessibility means, how to include users with disabilities, and where to find resources to support your digital accessibility practice. Community Engagement Specialist Erica Braverman will bring her expertise in accessibility and usability and help you get up to speed with the importance of accessibility in the lives of people with disabilities.
- Define digital accessibility and why it matters.
- Learn design considerations for including users with visual, auditory, motor, and/or cognitive disabilities.
- Apply several best practices to your own digital content.
Planning Inclusive Events
Virtual or hybrid events are a great way to include people from all over the world, without the limitations of travel or distance. But how can we make sure that these events are accessible to people with disabilities? Join Director of Community Programs Jessica “Jay” McKay and Community Engagement Specialist Erica Braverman as they take you on a crash course for creating the best and most inclusive hybrid and virtual events you can have.
- Define accessibility and clearly explain why it matters.
- Learn at least 3 accessibility considerations when designing events.
- Identify at least 3 strategies or tools to use when designing accessible events.