This session will provide a beginners guide to screen reader testing using NVDA. Other screen readers such as JAWS and Windows Narrator will be mentioned occasionally, but exercises and the main discussion will focus on NVDA.,
Attend this session to receive hands-on instruction in the basics of testing document and webpage accessibility using NVDA, NonVisual Desktop Access. This three-hour class will cover:
- Downloading and installing NVDA
- Using the keyboard
- The NVDA user interface
- Identifying and using reading modes
- Discovering which elements provide structure and meaning to both documents and webpages
Exercises will be provided throughout the class to demonstrate the topics listed above, including a scavenger hunt for key elements on various websites.
- Participants will learn how to download and install the NVDA screen reader.
- Participants will learn the importance of keyboard access, how to categorize shortcut keys, and how to navigate through various applications.
- Participants will learn the elements that provide structure and meaning for both documents and webpages.