According to https://w3techs.com/ WordPress represents 27.6% of the content management system market and growth has continued to be strong. What’s not to love? The code is open source with a large group of active developers contributing to its success. Individuals and companies worldwide have access to a tremendous amount of options from single freelancers to international development power houses and from an Accessiblity point of view, they get it.
WordPress has been continually evolving to improve functionality to its users and accessiblity. This session will get you up-to-speed on what you can expect from WordPress and how to maximize accessibility with resources that are already available. Taking you through the following:
- How to find an accessible ready theme.
- How to review and ensure that theme will meet your needs.
- What plugin options exist to help remediate issues with specific themes i.e. Skip links, Visual Focus, Read More Link text.
- What plugins exist that can help you build more advanced features, tabs, carousels, forms, social integrations, menus.
- How to review and confirm the accessibility of a WordPress Theme
- How to potentially remediate accessibility concerns in a WordPress theme
- Common plugins that enhance functionality without sacrificing accessiblity
- Some familiarity with WordPress as a content management system, installing themes and plugins
- Basic HTML and CSS will be handy to take advantage of all of the items addressed in this session, however not required